Friday 15 March 2013

Day 30

I love to eat as much as the next person, the only difference is that I have learned that food is fuel for my body.  Just as I wouldn't put a combination of regular, high test and diesel fuels in my VW with a diesel engine or it won't run too well, if at all, I've learned that in order for my body to run efficiently and well, I need to put the proper fuel in.  If you have been following these postings for 30 days, you know we certainly have a varied diet that is not bland or humdrum.  I feel the effects of the good food everyday.  If you haven't read my introduction to all of this, you may want to check my first posting.

I'm a recipe and recipe book collector.  One thing I find with raw food books is that there is a lot of information, not just recipes.  So not only to I get good recipes, I also have a lot of great reading with every book. One book I picked up a while back is "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Raw" by Mark Reinfeld, Bo Rinaldi, and Jennifer Murray. (ISBN 978-1-59257-771-771-2).  I really do dislike the title because none of us are idiots; however there is a lot of great information in this book, including a 4 week Raw Success Program to help a newbie get started on raw.  The recipes are generally pretty easy with ingredients that are readily available.  If you are considering adding more raw to your diet or are just looking for more info, you might consider looking this book up at the library or bookstore.

Today I decided to try a recipe from that book.  Actually, I had the book open to make another recipe, when Noel started thumbing through and spotted this recipe for Corn Chowder that he wanted to try. (I should have had him make it - it's that easy.)  It is very light and delicious, served with a salad it makes a great meal.  This is my variation on their recipe.


Creamy Corn Chowder

Prep time: 25 minutes (or less)
Yield: 6 cups
Serving size: 1 1/2 cups

2 1/2 cups water
3 cups corn, off the cob or frozen, thawed
1/2 cup avocado, mashed
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup yellow onion, chopped medium
1 tablespoon tamari
1 teaspoon ginger, minced
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Pinch cayenne
1/2 cup red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, and diced

1.  Place all ingredients except red pepper in a blender, and blend on high speed for 30 seconds or until mixture is smooth.
2.  Pour into bowls, and top with red pepper.  Serve immediately or chill in an airtight container in the refrigerator.  Soup should keep for 2 or 3 days.  It's best fresh though.

**Remember, corn should be organic because most corn grown now is genetically modified.
**I only had ginger powder and garlic powder, so used a little bit of each.

I would serve this chowder to anyone with confidence that they would love it!

I have some fresh veggie burgers in the dehydrator right now.  They smell sooo good.  Can't wait to try them on Saturday.  I'll keep you posted.

To your health...
Beverly Facey, Certified Health Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment