Wednesday 20 March 2013

Day 35

I can already see that there are not enough days left to try all of the recipes that I had planned for this 40 day raw.  Guess that means that I'll just have to keep working them in after Easter.  I'm already working on a menu for Easter Sunday - think there will be a few surprises for Noel, and not just for dinner!

Today I decided to give those Fresh Garden Burgers another try, seeing as the recipe made 8.  I normally cut most recipes in half, especially when I make them for the first time, but I was so sure that we would really fall for these, that I made the full recipe.  So tonight, along with a large Wilted Kale Salad, we had the burgers for the second time.  I really did like them better than the first night and even Noel thinks they are okay for once in awhile.  So now I will share that recipe.
 
                 Day  32                                                                    Day 35

Live Garden Burgers
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Eating Raw
by Mark Reinfeld, Bo Rinaldi, and Jennifer Murray
ISBN: 978-1-59257-771-2

2 cups zucchini, quartered and sliced
1 cup red bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed and chopped
1 cup carrots, grated
1 cup yellow onion, chopped
2 TB tamari
1 TB fresh oregano, minced
1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme, minced
2 TB fresh parsley, minced
1 cup sunflower seeds, ground
1/2 cup flax seeds, ground

1.  Place all ingredients except ground sunflower and flax seeds in food processor fitted with an S blade.  Process on high speed for 10 seconds.  You want small chunks, not paste.
2.  Transfer batter to a mixing bowl and add last 2 ingredients.  Stir well.
3.  Using a 1/2 cup measure, scoop batter onto Teflex sheet or parchment paper lined dehydrator sheets.  Flatten them out a bit, leaving them about 3/4 inch thick.  Dehydrate at 110 F for about 15 hours.  Carefully flip over, removing the sheet or paper.  continue dehydrating for another 15 hours or so.

**  Sunflower seeds and flax seeds can be ground in a coffee grinder.
**  I use dried herbs when I don't have fresh - just adjust the amount.
**  These did not take the full 30 hours to dry - probably about 25 or so.
**They will be quite dry so you will want to top with your fav creamy dressing or hummus or something similar.  I used my new favourite dressing:  Creaming Honey Mustard - that I shared with you in a previous blog, Day 8, I think.

And now for the best fudge I have ever had!  I've been making this for a few years now.  It's a frozen fudge, so must be kept in the freezer and taken out just in time for dessert.  It will melt some on your fingers, but then you get to lick them off!


Frozen Fudge
from The Raw Truth
by Jeremy A. Safron
ISBN 1-58761-172-4

1 cup Dates, pitted
1 1/2 cups Water
1 1/2 cups Nut Butter (such as almond or hazelnut)
1 1/2 cups Carob Powder or Cocoa Powder
1/2 cup dried Shredded Coconut

Place the dates in a bowl, cover with the water, and soak for about 1 hour or until soft. (I usually soak them for several hours.)  Place dates and soak water in a blender, and blend until a creamy consistency.  Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the nut butter.  Stir to combine.  In a separate bowl, mix the carob or cocoa powder and coconut.  Gradually add the dry mixture into the wet date mixture.  Stir well.  Press evenly into a 10 by 18 inch brownie pan, 1 inch thick, and freeze until firm, about 3 hours.  To serve, cut into 1 inch squares.

**This is difficult to cut once fully frozen, so you may want to take it out and cut it before it is really frozen hard.
**  I never cut them as small as 1 inch squares!

I hadn't made this for some time, so it was a real treat for us with our supper.

I guarantee that you will love this, so give it a try.

To your health...

Beverly Facey, Certified Health Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment